Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 61: Hot n' Cold

          Dar is a hot city.  It's like southern California, only a lot more humid.  But today, for a few hours, I was actually cold in Dar.
          The first stop for today was to the University of Dar-es-Salaam to visit yet another old friend of Baba's, Professor Elias Jengo.  Prof. Jengo is the Dean of the school of the Fine Arts.  Baba was considering applying for a job at the University, and he wanted to talk to Jengo about it.  Anandumi dropped us off, then took off for Dodoma, unable to delay any longer.  There was AC in Jengo's office, so it was pretty comfortable, but I wasn't cold.
          After meeting with Prof. Jengo, my cousins Goodluck and Ebenezer came to meet us and take us out to lunch.  We hopped on a Daladala (the daladala's in Dar are much different from the ones in the country) and Goodluck took us to a "hotel" along the highway where we had lunch.  It was an open air "hotel", so I wasn't cold there either.  Isaac, Mjomba Mike's son lived in Dar, and I decided to give him a call.  He was at work, he does IT for Family Heath International, and invited me over.  So Goodluck called his friend Fred, who owned a car, and he came over and drove us to Isaacs work (there's no AC in Fred's car, so I definitely wasn't cold there).
          I was greeted as I entered the office complex where Isaac worked by a blast of cool air.  After riding around in Fred's car and then wandering around outside trying to find the entrance, this was a welcome relief from the heat.  I hung out in Isaac's office, which looks like a small computer scrap yard till my Baba came back that evening with Fred to pick me up.


E’ya! - Tate


Jump to: Day 60 or Day 62

1 comment: